Foggy Bottom Flats Set to Open in South Knoxville

Foggy Bottom Flats, Foggy Bottom Road, Knoxville, March 2020

It’s been nearly a year since I first wrote about Foggy Bottom Flats. The fourteen-unit set of town homes was to have opened earlier this year, but according to Brett Honeycutt, one of the developing partners, the rain earlier this year made that goal unobtainable. He said for long stretches they were only able to work a couple of days a week. The town homes are now set to be available in a couple of weeks.

Foggy Bottom Flats, Foggy Bottom Road, Knoxville, March 2020

Each of the two buildings is made up of seven town homes. Each of the homes has a one car garage, and the two buildings share a common entrance into the drive, which is made of attractive permeable pavers. The attached garages are located behind the units while the main entrance to each unit faces the street.

Foggy Bottom Flats, Foggy Bottom Road, Knoxville, March 2020

The front entrance features a small stoop with room for chairs and a small table. Once inside, a small foyer leads to the garage, the laundry room, or up the stairs to the living space. Another flight of stairs leads to the top floor, which is where the two bedrooms are located.

Foggy Bottom Flats, Foggy Bottom Road, Knoxville, March 2020

Each unit is 1,100 square feet and includes two bedrooms and two full baths on the top floor. The front bedroom in each unit features a view of the river and the South Knoxville Bridge. The entire wall facing out is glass and it opens to a Juliet balcony, making the entire room feel like an outdoor space and offering the possibility of opening the top floor to the fresh air. The two bathrooms feature tiled showers and one includes a tub.

Foggy Bottom Flats, Foggy Bottom Road, Knoxville, March 2020

View from the Bedroom, Foggy Bottom Flats, Foggy Bottom Road, Knoxville, March 2020

The central floor includes the kitchen with stone counter tops and upgraded tile backsplashes, a half bath, and a generous living area with a balcony large enough for a small table and a couple of chairs. As with the bedroom above it, the front wall is all glass, allowing for large amounts of light and fresh air in good weather.

Foggy Bottom Flats, Foggy Bottom Road, Knoxville, March 2020

The units facing Foggy Bottom Road should be available after this week, pending a Certificate of Occupancy. The seven units facing Phillips Avenue are about another month or so away from completion. Three Roots Capital and Renasant Bank provided funding, Dollar and Ewars did the final design, and Reagan Construction is building the project.

Foggy Bottom Flats, Foggy Bottom Road, Knoxville, March 2020

Mr. Honeycutt said he hasn’t noticed direct impact from the COVID-19 pandemic on interest levels. Construction crews are allowed to continue work as their jobs are considered essential. The crews have been given instruction on distancing as much as possible and sanitizing their hands often. Three security deposits have been placed on units and another couple of dozen people are seriously considering the homes, so it appears the new homes should be leased shortly after opening.

The units lease for $1975 per month. You can learn more about them here. To request more information or lease a unit, go here.

Comments

1. From all of your great shots these look fantastic .

2. Michael Heumiller says

Are these rental units or can you purchase them?
    Price range?

3. A. J. Sartin says

What is the address – also you need to add a map!

I have not seen an address. The development is on the corner of Foggy Bottom and Phillips. It is virtually adjacent to Suttree Landing Park. A Google search will give you a map. I am not in a position to add one at this time.

4. Hello!
    What are the rental prices, and will there will any amenities at this property?

Rental prices are included in the article. The primary amenities are the front stoop, Julet balconies and an enclosed, attached garage.

• No rental prices included.

I apologize. I deliberately went back in and added this morning, but it clearly did not save. I’ve added it just now. The cost is $1975.

• they are nice but heck the rent is more than my mortgage on my 2200 sq ft 3bd 2bath with garage and full basement water front home that is only 2 yrs old.

• I read the article twice and never saw pricing. So, how much, too much, is it?

I apologize, Ben. I deliberately went back in and added this morning, but it clearly did not save. I’ve added it just now. The cost is $1975.

5. absolutely ugly. atrocious looking. looks like a bunch of mobile homes stacked on top of each other. these things that are being built and being called nice condos and apartments are absolutely grotesque looking. where is the grandeur, the vision of great architecture. i know im gonna get lots of flack from this, but i dont really give a damn. it is my opiinion and i will stick to it! while i will applaud anybody trying to build and develop an area, or redevelop it, i just wish some innovatve beautiful buildings could start to be built. i wonder if any of the actually classic beautiful homes over there in south knoxville were torn down to build this monstrosity. absolutely ugly development.

No homes were torn down for this development. What do you really think about it? πŸ™‚

• I’m with you, Darrell. What an eyesore in such a classic community. So sad to see something so tasteless fill this space.

• I live right by these and this was an abandoned lot before that used to have trash and torn down fences…. so I would say it looks a lot better with these new condos. Everyone should be thankful new developers want to actually build in South Knoxville and bring in young people who will stay and raise families. They look really good in person and are right next to the river and the Suttree Landing park.

• SoKno Bike Guy says

No, I’m sorry but you are mistaken. It was in fact a fenced in paved lot that was one of the very few parking lots in the Sevier Ave area. And was the primary parking lot for The Landing House restaurant immediately adjacent to it. I personally think they look tacky and very out of place for the area. Also not geared to anyone with disabilities or a disposable income for the square footage.

• They are not condos. They are apartments for rent. There is no reason to be thankful for the gentrification of our neighborhood.

6. Georgianna says

Better love climbing stairs to live there. Not geared for older population is it?

7. I’d like so see some SK development seeking buyers not just leasers. Owners not investor is what strengthens a community for the long term.

8. Taylor Kitts says

No matter what abyone says yhese ate gorgeous! A very well rounded mind constructed these buildings.
    Price?
    Taylor

9. I like the style! πŸ™‚ Very modern.

10. “”Too plain” for South Knoxville. “Too Modern”……
    I grew up there. Just does not ” fit”?

11. Hey I’m Lucky Lumpkin of Laksmi Designs the Interior Designer that specified the interior finishes as well as exterior paint selections. It was an honor to work with Brett Honeycutt and Dollar and Ewers Architecture! Can’t wait to stage one of the interiors!

• Good luck, lucky. I want a video of you putting stuff in those places. is that the purpose of the siding doors? Can’t wait to see the first car try to park in the garage. All these need is some rebar sticking out of the roofs and you will have traveled to Egypt. What happened to the blending with the neighborhood per the vision plan stated in the FBC. Honeycutt, Brett, Ewers? Where will they park. They don’t look like the original design either.

• Hi Patti, I voiced concerns per the spacial arrangements, stairs, and layout. I know they had specifics they had to meet that was out of my control. I did try my best to specify the interior with the intention of having an earthy feel in colors and materials. If I get a chance to stage the condo I will put a video on my website for you.

• Really the only concern they had was to cram as many pods as they could in a space that really could not handle the density. They did not follow the FBC and someone in the city staff is involved. That is how these tenant houses are getting through. I was not kidding about the rebar in third world countries. That is all these are lacking in.

12. I just moved here from new New York. Queens to be exact. I see knoxville , in time, will be as congested as Queens. So things are cheaper, but not all. More rental apts. and it’ll be like the Bronx. Maybe i should have stayed in New York?