Sharing the City as it Turns Towards Christmas

Urban Niece with Sculpture, Krutch Park, Knoxville, November 2013

Urban Niece with Sculpture, Krutch Park, Knoxville, November 2013

This marked the second weekend in a row that we’ve hosted people from outside the city. Last weekend it was friends of the family and their significant others – all in their twenties – in town for the Auburn game. This weekend really started Wednesday night with the arrival of my brother, who was joined by his daughter on Friday. We’ll skip a weekend before hosting my father and uncle for Thanksgiving.

Christmas Tree and Sculpture on Krutch Park, Knoxville, November 2013

Christmas Tree and Sculpture on Krutch Park, Knoxville, November 2013

I’m always self-conscious about the city when these guests arrive. They know that I continuously extol the virtues of the city and they want to see for themselves what it’s like. It’s a challenge when, as we’ve done these weekends, the guests are a teenager, a group in their twenties, and one each people in their forties, seventies and eighties. The toughest for me was when I had a blend of all of the above with a skew toward the upper range.

The round of guests, I think, got a good sample of what we have to offer. I mentioned last week that we took Urban Brother to the newly opened Icon Restaurant on Wednesday night, followed by Chris Padgett at Preservation Pub and Flow Tribe at Barleys. Thursday we dropped a load of money at The Tree and Vine and Coldstream Market and walked around a good bit. That night we ate at home, but caught a very nice show at Preservation Pub featuring Jodie Manross, Laith Keilany and Russell Tanenbaum. Laith’s performance of a middle-eastern song featuring instrumental looping and primal vocals was a standout.

Run or Dye Race, Knoxville, November 2013

Run or Dye Race, Knoxville, November 2013

Run or Dye Race, Knoxville, November 2013

Run or Dye Race, Knoxville, November 2013

Friday night we had a great time with something I’ll tell you about in a separate post and followed that up with a late, very good, dinner at Cru Bistro.

Holiday Nutcracker Busker, Market Square, Knoxville, November 2013

Holiday Nutcracker Busker, Market Square, Knoxville, November 2013

Saturday morning, of course, brought the Market Square Farmers’ Market. We had a very nice brunch at the French Market where we spotted a wedding party. Just around the corner were people fresh from a color run. The Christmas trees are up and Urban Girl insisted that I take a picture of the one on Krutch Park. On Market Square a nutcracker busker has emerged for the season and seemed to be doing pretty well. His movements had an uncanny resemblance to those of the Purple Guy. I’m just saying. We also had fun with the sculptures in Krutch Park.

Urban Girl with Sculpture, Krutch Park, Knoxville, November 2013

Urban Girl with Sculpture, Krutch Park, Knoxville, November 2013

Urban Niece Wins the Peanuts, Market Square, Knoxville, November 2013

Urban Niece Wins the Peanuts, Market Square, Knoxville, November 2013

Urban Girl with Santa in the Peanut Shop, Knoxvlle, November 201

Urban Girl with Santa in the Peanut Shop, Knoxvlle, November 201

The Peanut Shop had a big thing going, with a bean toss on the square (in which Urban Niece won a bag of peanuts) and Santa and Mrs. Claus inside the store along with face-painting and other activities. The store was packed, but Urban Girl managed to get a little private audience with Santa. She used her moment to ask him a burning question, “How do you get into houses like mine with no chimney?” Fortunately his answer matched her mother’s and involved a magic key. She also asked him, “Could I ride on your sleigh sometime?” He explained it moves too fast and even he only rides it once a year. She seemed disappointed, but satisfied.

Wedding Party, Krutch Park, Knoxville, November 2013

Wedding Party, Krutch Park, Knoxville, November 2013

Another busker on the square caught our attention and our party had conflicting feelings. Emisushine, who looks to be less than ten years old, is backed by a man on drums and another on bass while she plays mandolin and sings country songs. The ambivalence comes with the make-up and big hair which reminded us of the beauty pageants for children. She’s quite talented and has learned to have a bit of stage presence. She has her own booking agent and management. You can find her here if you’d like to see her perform.

Emisunshine and The Rain, Market Square, Knoxville, November 2013

Emisunshine and The Rain, Market Square, Knoxville, November 2013

Emisunshine and The Rain, Market Square, Knoxville, November 2013

Emisunshine and The Rain, Market Square, Knoxville, November 2013

Once again, I felt the city showed its good side and everyone had a good time. It wasn’t perfect, of course. I’d rather not have my guests panhandled, particularly by the same person repeatedly. The sidewalks were also more covered with dog deposits than normal, I thought. Still, a fun time was had by all – especially Friday night – and I’ll get you that story as soon as I can sort through the thousand or so photographs.

Comments

1. Just for the record. I was with “mister blogger” on this occasion. The conversation centered around a very talented and poised young girl. “Mister blogger” didn’t bring up her makeup, his guests did. Gees people get over the whole thing. All artist take risk performing art. Some will like it, some won’t. Everyone in our group loved her art just thought her performance costume was a little off. Actually, “mister blogger” even defended that.

2. Kristal Hill says

Wow mister blogger!!! You know before you started posting info on a musician wouldn’t you find it important to get all of your facts straight? Let me get 5 very important facts across to you!First off EmiSunshine does not play a mandolin! She plays a ukulele and does very well at it for a 9 year old. Which brings me to my 2nd point.. Yes she is below 10 years of age but anyone with good blogging skills would have asked that before assuming! 3rd point is the fact that the 2 men behind her are her relatives, one being her father and the other her uncle, so yes if you had questions as to whether or not this was just for show or a true musician sharing her love of music with her family supporting her then I guess the fact that it was her family involved answers that question! My 4th point to get across to you is that EmiSunshine is far from a pageant child! Yes she wears her hair big and her makeup proud but that comes from her love of some of the greats that wore their hair big and sang their songs loud! She has a very old soul for her age and if that’s how she wants to perform than it should be none of your concern. She isn’t there for a pageant as you call it. As a matter of fact we can’t get her to compete in any kind of pageant. She hates competition and has only just recently entered 2 singing competitions with our encouraging words and telling her that it was an audition.. Not a competition. And may I just add that she placed in the top in both of them! My 5th, final, and most important point to get across to you is the fact that EmiSunshine is one of the sweetest, most genuine, and kindest children I have ever met. She loves to meet new children and encourages them to follow their dreams. She never keeps her money from busking, or pan handling as you call it, she always shares it with the other buskers or puts it toward a good cause to help someone else. She is not in it for the money. She does it for the joy it brings to others. So please next time you decide to write a blog in your Knoxville experience get all the facts about someone before you write horrible things that make them look bad!

This is just fascinating. So, I misnamed an instrument, assumed her age correctly, didn’t know the men behind her were her relatives, she’s not a pageant child – though you’ve tried to get her to compete – and she’s sweet, genuine and kind. – and doesn’t keep her money. Oh, and I apparently, “wrote horrible things,” and apparently said what she does is “panhandling as you call it.” Are you people crazy? Can you read? I said there was some question about a child being made up to that extreme. I called her talented, noted that she had management and directed people to her link. If you want to call somebody out, don’t lie. I never used the word “panhandler” any where in that blog and I defy you to find one “horrible thing that makes them look bad,” that I said about her. It is obvious that any criticism at all, of which mine was extremely mild – my goodness, it was a question – is going to infuriate everyone around her. I strongly suggest she pursue a different line of business if a minor clause in a paragraph which merely raises a question sets you guys off like this. She’s talented, but she will be devoured by people who are much less kind than myself. I never questioned her character or her talent. Seriously. Learn to read.

3. Pam Harwell says

So Mister Blogger I wonder what you would have said about the “Ladies” of country music years ago. Dolly was only 14 when she was on Porter Wagoner and if memory serves me correctly, the outfits, hair and makeup were big. Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline, all wore outrageous outfits and hair for thier time and I even think in an interview Dolly said she saw a street walker when she was a kid and thought I like what she had on!!!!
    You my friend have no idea what ticks in an artist or what is in their heart. I recently met Emi and her family and if you would take the time to talk with her you would see how humble and genuine they are. Opinions are opinions, but you should always take in the fact that people have feelings and you felt the necessity to attack a child. You, sir need to apologize to this family and I will add you to my prayer list, cause Lord know you need it.

From a Mom

Wow, OK. Here’s what I actually said, “Another busker on the square caught our attention and our party had conflicting feelings. Emisushine, who looks to be less than ten years old, is backed by a man on drums and another on bass while she plays mandolin and sings country songs. The ambivalence comes with the make-up and big hair which reminded us of the beauty pageants for children. She’s quite talented and has learned to have a bit of stage presence. She has her own booking agent and management. You can find her here if you’d like to see her perform.” If you consider that an attack on anyone, I’m not sure how. I acknowledge “conflcting feelings,” and said her make-up reminded some in my party of child beauty pageant contestants. How is that an attack? I also said she is very talented, has a professional set-up and gave a link so people could form their own opinions. I always appreciate prayers, but I think you owe me an apology.

And, for the record, Dolly Parton was 21 when she started on the Porter Wagoner Show. Born in 1946, joined the show in 1967.

4. Emilie Hamilton says

Oh and that’s my dad and uncle with me!

5. Emilie Hamilton says

So I know I’m not everyone’s cup of tea! And my hair was quite big, my makeup may have been a bit off and yes I’ll even give you that I had laryngitis a bit. I just love market square so and always get such inspiration there! It’s not about the busking and I have tried to decline the tips. I give from my tips to those less fortunate. Still you have your points. I appreciate your candor and I know had I been in a more toned down get up it might have made a difference or maybe not (I had a malfunction in my earlier outfit choice and had to regroup as I seldom wear exactly the same thing the same way twice) never been in a pageant … Still they say any press is good press. I don’t agree. It’s an ouch. But I can’t please everyone. Loads of people loved it and begged for more…. And thank you to the kind lady who gave me tickets to The Tennessee for Sunday i so enjoyed it!!!!! I’m not doing all this for a bunch of fame or fortune. I’m in it for the music. I eat it. Breathe it…. I love the music that comes from experience! So bring it on….. I will still hang in there! O and I loved the other buskers too especially the soliders…and thanks for the fabulous pic urban guy!

Hey Emi,
      I didn’t intend what I said to be bad press. You are very talented and I enjoyed listening to you. I’m glad you love what you do. There was some concern to see a little girl dressed and made-up like a woman. I think the idea was you are a cute, talented young girl, so why not look like a young girl? As for your tips, I always hope the talented buskers make good money and you guys are very talented.

6. Looks like a lovely Knoxville weekend. Sad I missed it.