An Update and Time to Move Forward

Urban Brother and Urban Boy Beside the New Trolley Signs, Knoxville, March 2017

It only felt right to follow up on last week’s post before moving forward with more stories from the city. A lot is happening around town, and I need to get back to covering it, for my own sanity and sense-of-purpose as much as for anyone else.

My brother continues to struggle. He was taken off the ventilator last week and has made steps forward and steps backward. Today marks two weeks in the hospital, and he isn’t near being released. We’d hoped he might come home this weekend, but that will clearly not happen. Assume slow and steady progress, which is our hope, and we’ll turn the focus back to the city.

Tomorrow I’ll have guest writers from Appalachian Gastroventures giving their unique take on a downtown restaurant. The Ten Day Planner will continue as competently and carefully compiled each week by my friend Scott McNutt. His great work on that front over the last few years has made everything else I do work so much more easily. There may be other guest writers as well.

I plan to start publishing articles next week, though it may not be every day for a while. I could also be hit with a more difficult period and this plan could fall apart, but I’m hoping it will not. I want you to know that I appreciate each and every one of you for reading, spreading the word, and for all your expressions of support through this difficult time. So, now let’s get back to talking about downtown . . .

Comments

1. I am feeling for and thinking of y’all.
    Love

2. Everyone said exactly what is on my mind. I know you feel the love and support from our community, and it’s the least we can send as you have given so much to us over the years. Warm thoughts and energy to your brother and your entire family.

3. Hang in there Alan. With all the positive energy coming from this community and directed to you and your brother in this time of trial, surely steady progress is on its way.

4. I read your posts from Asheville to keep up with what’s happening in my beloved and amazing hometown. I hope for better health for your brother. Your writing touches me, so I feel like I know you somehow.

5. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry this is happening to your brother.

6. I am so sorry for all you guys are going through- much love and hope your way💕

7. Please tell him he has a bunch of people pulling for him!

8. We’re here for you!

9. Knoxville is so fortunate to have someone like you Alan spreading so much good news and information even for those of us who do not go downtown as much as we would like. Take this time for yourself and your brother and family and we will be here when you get back!

10. Many prayers of healing for you and your family!

11. I have been reading your articles on a daily basis for 3 years and I would like to thank you for the amazing work that you do. Best wishes to your family and I hope that you take off as much time as you need to.

12. charis kraski says

Light and love to you and your family, for continued improvement for your brother, and a sense of peace for you… Your city awaits your return.

13. Candace Armstrong says

Wishing all best to your brother and all of you!

14. Denise Hughes says

Take care.

15. The entire community is behind you Alan. Best wishes to you and your family.

16. Claire Poole says

Healing thoughts and prayers for your family…..❤️🙏

17. “He ain’t heavy, he’s my brother.”
    Hang in there Alan, you have a City for a support group and I get the sanity part. Life gets put On Hold.
    Didn’t send for posting, just wanted to lend my support.
    Take care.

18. Hoping for the Best for your Family!!

19. Shelley Mangold says

Continued good healing wishes. Glad you are able to delegate some of your awesome work during this hard time.

20. Vickie Jordan says

Thinking of you and your family during this difficult time.

21. Joe Hultquist says

Praying for your brother, you and your family

22. I’m so sorry. Hoping for the best.

23. Thinking of you and your brother.

24. Ellen Robinette says

We will continue to send love and healing energy to Mark and your entire family.. take care, love Nicki from Knox High and Family

25. Sending prayers and love for all of your family, especially your brother
    Bless you for taking such good care of him. Glad you have a plan for taking care of YOU too.

26. Praying for your family’s health and encouragement. Thank you for sharing and updating us. Grateful for your commitment to updating us on our great City of Knoxville.

27. Again, best wishes to you and your family during this difficult time.

28. Kristina Gordon says

Thank you for the update and for pulling back the curtain to let us know what is going on. You’re a big part of Knoxville life & we care about you. I hope you can take all the time you need in this difficult period. We’ll be here – hoping and praying for good outcomes for you and your family.

29. Sending prayers for hope and healing. 🙏🏻

30. Family first! Your loyal readers will be here as you write again.

31. Praying for your brother & your family. Stay Strong

32. God speed Alan!

33. best wishes as you move forward. my prayers to you also. just take care of you however you need to. prayers for your brother also.