Every Sunday Urban Woman and I sit down together and talk about our respective calendars for the week. Sometimes the discussions evolve into vast exercises in logistics, sometimes groans in dread of particular events or horrifically demanding hours and other times we’re very excited about what’s coming up.
That weekly conversation, along with requests for more information on this blog about what is coming up, led me to think that perhaps I should include a post on Sunday detailing the downtown events I’ve got my eye on for the coming week. It won’t be complete as often I haven’t heard about or noticed particular events, but it may help some of you catch some things you might otherwise miss. I’ll combine events I’ve been invited to on Facebook with the events I notice in Metropulse and other places. I’m going to give a go and see if it’s manageable.
If you see an event I’ve missed and you’d like to plug, please comment below or e-mail me (email@example.com) and I’ll try to add it. The list may, accordingly, be expanded through the week. Staying true to the scope of the blog, I’ll only list downtown or near-downtown events. The Well and The Shed have some great events, for example, but I have to draw a line somewhere. If you want to add those in a comment, that’s fine.
Before this first listing, let me encourage you to “friend” me on Facebook and invite me to your events. That’s my best source for great things to do. While you are at it, look over to the right of this post and not only “friend” me, but “like” Stuck Inside of Knoxville.” You can also subscribe below to make sure you catch all the posts.
What I’ve Got My Eye On:
- Sunday 6/2: Rococo 1st Anniversary Party: Cookies, Lemonade, Balloons and 15% off everything in the store, 11:00 – 6:00
- Monday 6/3: Blue Plate Special – WDVX at the Knoxville Visitor’s Center, 12:00 Noon, Free – Anthony Bernhauser (Singer-Songwriter) / Cale Tyson (Singer-Songwriter)
- Monday 6/3: Tennessee Shines – The Skipperdees with Amy Andrews, 7:00 – 8:30, Knoxville Visitor’s Center
- Monday 6/3: Widespread Panic at the Tennessee Theatre, 7:30, $45
- Tuesday 6/4: Blue Plate Special – WDVX at the Knoxville Visitor’s Center, 12:00 Noon, Free – Laura Thurston (Singer-Songwriter) / Rebecca Frazier and Hit & Run Bluegrass (Bluegrass)
- Tuesday 6/4: Widespread Panic at the Tennessee Theatre (Night Two), 7:30, $45
- Tuesday 6/4: Jazz on the Square, free, 8:00 – 10:00
- Wednesday 6/5: Blue Plate Special – WDVX at the Knoxville Visitor’s Center, 12:00 Noon, Free – Black Jake and the Carnies (Bluegrass/Punk) / Tony Memmel (Singer-Songwriter)
- Wednesday 6/5: Knoxville Jazz Orchestra at the Square Room, Noon, $15
- Wednesday 6/5: Quacky Olympics, Market Square, 5:00 – 6:30
- Thursday 6/6: Blue Plate Special – WDVX at the Knoxville Visitor’s Center, 12:00 Noon, Free – Cassie Taylor (Blues) / Josh Farrow (Singer-Songwriter)
- Concerts on the Square: 7:00 – 9:00, Matt Hatmaker, free
- Friday 6/7: Blue Plate Special – WDVX at the Knoxville Visitor’s Center, 12:00 Noon, Free – Pat Reedy and the Longtime Goners (Country) / Letters to Abigail (Folk/Americana)
- Friday 6/7: First Friday – Free Events all around downtown including music, drink and gallery openings. Most complete list: http://knoxvillefirstfriday.com
- Friday 6/7: Bob Dylan Birthday Bash – Market Square, 5:30 – 10:00, free – Local artists play Bob Dylan songs – an annual highlight, this year’s featured artists include the Lonesome Coyotes, RB Morris, Kevin Abernathy, Norwegian Wood and Kelle Jolly.
- Saturday 6/8: Blue Plate Special – WDVX at the Knoxville Visitor’s Center, 12:00 Noon, Free – Jake, Milady (Rock/Pop-Punk) / Knoxville Bella Corda (Guitar Ensemble)
- Saturday 6/8: KnoxGives – 2:00 PM to 10:00 PM, World’s Fair Park – free – local artists including Big Country’s Empty Bottle, Guy Marshal, Baseball the Band and the JoJax – children’s area and vendors with proceeds going to diabetes and other charities
- Saturday 6/8: Bark in the Park, free, Market Square, 6:00 – 9:00 (probably not a cat-friendly event)
- Saturday 6/8: James McCartney (yes, Paul’s son) and Ian Thomas at Relix Theater, 7:00 PM, $15.00
- Saturday 6/8: Bonnaroo Pre-Game Mini-Fest: Dance Acts soon to perform at the Big Festival, $5.00, 7:00 PM